At each stage of learning, “Oaths of Loyalty” and “Agreements” are required to be signed by a student. This includes new students as well as those considered for advancement to Yudansha and Menkyo (teaching licenses). The following Rules and Regulations are examples taken from these oaths and agreements, and are to be strictly observed within the Hakkoryu community. Failure to abide by such oaths and agreements can result in Hamon (permanent expulsion) from Hakkoryu Jujutsu and Koho Shiatsu.
From time to time, it has been felt by some that our Hakkoryu rules and regulations are too restrictive in nature. We hope it is understood that these rules and regulations are designed to ensure that the genuine and original Hakkoryu is taught as a pure and complete system to students. It is our desire that those entering into Hakkoryu under legitimate Hakkoryu Shihan can expect to receive very high quality instruction in our traditional methods, devoid of dilutive influences from outside. Given the great gift provided to those selected for advanced training, most Hakkoryu Shihan view such rules and regulations as both a positive for the ryu as well as simply common sense.
Excerpts from Hakkoryu Rules and Regulations
(The Official Rules and Regulations are published internally for members in good standing)
- The Hakkoryu So Hombu Dojo is a private school established in 1941 to teach and train select individuals in the traditional Japanese self-protection martial art of Hakkoryu Jujutsu and the Japanese medical techniques of Hakkoryu Koho Shiatsu. Nidai Soke Okuyama Ryuho (hereinafter the “Hakkoryu Soke”) holds the sole and exclusive authority to control and direct the dissemination and knowledge of the theory, techniques, and mysteries of Hakkoryu Jujutsu and Hakkoryu Koho Shiatsu throughout Japan and the world. He may do this himself directly or through properly licensed Shihan (master instructors). It is of the utmost importance that Hakkoryu Jujutsu and Hakkoryu Koho Shiatsu be protected and transmitted in their correct form as presented by Shodai Soke, the Founder of Hakkoryu, and as preserved and guarded by the current Hakkoryu Soke.
- All power and authority in Hakkoryu Jujutsu and Hakkoryu Koho Shiatsu rests with the Hakkoryu Soke. All students, whether Mudansha (members who have not yet received Shodan grade), Yudansha (members holding Shodan through Yondan grade) or holders of Menkyo Shihan and above licenses must honor and obey his instructions.
- The Hakkoryu Soke is the sole and exclusive owner of all trade names, registered trademarks, service marks, and copyrights for all logos, calligraphy, merchandise, photographic images, publications and other intangibles throughout the world relating to Hakkoryu Jujutsu, Hakkoryu Koho Shiatsu, and the Hakkoryu kamon (crest) Yotsume-no-mon. Any usage of said items without the express written permission of the Hakkoryu Soke is a violation of international and local trade name/trademark/copyright laws. The Hakkoryu Soke has properly and legally registered and protected these rights as well as various Internet domain names in Japan and countries throughout the world. Outside of publications printed and distributed by the Hakkoryu So Hombu Dojo absolutely no books, manuals, videos, movies, websites, social media sites or other publications are permitted without being sanctioned by the Hakkoryu Soke.
- The Hakkoryu Soke is the only person holding the authority to teach and conduct Hakkoryu Menkyo Jikiden for Koho Shiatsu, Shihan, Kaiden, and Sandaikichu, including Renshi reviews of said licenses. Only in special circumstances will he grant a Regional Representative or other representative permission to teach and issue certification on his behalf in Hakkoryu Koho Shiatsu Igaku.
- The Hakkoryu So Hombu Dojo in Saitama City, Saitama Prefecture is a private Dojo used primarily for the training of students for/with the title of Menkyo Shihan or above. Letters of introduction by Hakkoryu Shihan in good standing must precede any visit to the Hakkoryu So Hombu Dojo via their Regional Representative. In all cases, arrangements for such visits must be made well in advance. Those without such prior arrangements and documentation shall be turned away.
- All students must be properly registered with the Hakkoryu So Hombu Dojo through a Shihan in good standing. Unless so registered, individuals have no association with Hakkoryu Jujutsu or Hakkoryu Koho Shiatsu and are not to receive instruction.
- Only a Hakkoryu Shihan in good standing may request and issue Yudansha certificates and obi (belts) as provided by Hombu through the Hakkoryu Soke via their Regional Representative. Only properly signed and sealed menjo (certificates) and Hakkoryu So Hombu Dojo issued obi shall be recognized. Hakkoryu Kyu (ranks below Shodan) certificates may originate from each Dojo at the discretion of its Shihan.
- Members and Shihan will maintain and follow the proper chain of communication: Mudansha/Yudansha –> Shihan –> Regional Representative –> Hakkoryu Hombu Dojo. Outside of Japan, Hakkoryu Hombu Dojo will not recognize or acknowledge communication from Mudansha, Yudansha or Shihan unless received from their Regional Representative.
- Prior to receiving Shihan Jikiden from the Hakkoryu Soke, the student will have completed the course and received certification in Hakkoryu Koho Shiatsu. Alternatively, the student may elect to undergo both Shihan Jikiden and Koho Shiatsu Certification within the same scheduled training sessions. The student is encouraged however to undergo earlier Shiatsu certification earlier in their study of Hakkoryu in order to supplement their study of jujutsu waza.
- Hakkoryu students and Instructors are to practice and teach Hakkoryu Kihon Waza as the primary subject, supplemented by application of principles taught within Waza. Each Dan-gi should be taught in proper order, Shodan, Nidan and Sandan respectively, e.g. Nidan-gi should be taught only to those who have been awarded the title of Shodan, Sandan-gi taught only to those who have been awarded the title of Nidan, etc. Yondan instruction is reserved only for those of Shihan caliber.
- Hakkoryu Jujutsu Kihon Waza shall not be mixed or combined with the techniques of other martial arts and/or ways, nor shall the techniques and/or names of Kihon Waza be changed or altered. Separate study and practice of other martial arts or ways is not prohibited, but what must be strictly avoided is the mixing or combining of Hakkoryu practice and techniques with the techniques of other styles or schools. It is the responsibility of both the student and their Shihan to keep the study of Hakkoryu pure in this regard.
- No competition or sports-related activity whatsoever is permitted in the study of Hakkoryu Jujutsu.
- Hakkoryu Dojo are places of hard work to be reserved for serious training. Proper Japanese reigi (etiquette) is to be observed at all times. Only approved individuals shall be allowed entrance to a Hakkoryu Dojo to observe training.
- In order to maintain high standards, the Hakkoryu Soke or a senior Shihan appointed by the Hakkoryu Soke may, from time to time, visit branch Dojo for inspection.
- Any unauthorized individuals claiming to represent Hakkoryu Jujutsu or Hakkoryu Koho Shiatsu should be reported to the Hakkoryu So Hombu Dojo via the appropriate Regional Representative for recording, investigation, and potential legal action.
- Upon “retiring in good standing” from Hakkoryu, one’s Shihan, Kaiden and/or Sandaikichu licenses are also retired by So Hombu Dojo. This marks the end of the individual’s authorization to teach or represent Hakkoryu Jujutsu and Koho Shiatsu from that point forward, and releases their responsibility for paying annual Shihan dues. Mudansha and Yudansha in good standing at the time of their Shihan’s retirement are asked to contact their Regional Representative in order that they may continue their study of Hakkoryu under an active Shihan.
- Internet websites and social media pages shall be authorized by the Hakkoryu Soke via the Regional Representative. Hakkoryu members will avoid connection, contact and communication with expelled (“Hamon” 破門) persons, their organizations, illegitimate offshoots or otherwise undesirable contacts over social media just as in person.
- Hakkoryu students and Shihan should endeavor to preserve justice and protect human life by constantly preparing themselves against acts of unexpected violence. Through Hakkoryu Jujutsu and Hakkoryu Koho Shiatsu, train your mind, body, and spirit in the principles of righteousness and self-preservation. In this manner, you will act to serve mankind, cleanse yourself of evil intentions and behave to bring honor on yourself, your family, Hakkoryu, your community and the nation.
- Let it be known that those who ignore or otherwise do not follow the above Regulations will face disciplinary measures up to and including suspension and loss of their “good standing” status (“Jomei” 除名) or permanent expulsion (“Hamon” 破門) from Hakkoryu Jujutsu and Hakkoryu Koho Shiatsu. Expulsion renders any rank or licenses the individual may have held null and void and removes the individual’s right to teach or represent Hakkoryu Jujutsu and Hakkoryu Koho Shiatsu in any manner whatsoever. Mudansha and Yudansha students in good standing at the time of their Shihan’s expulsion are asked to contact their Regional Representative in order that they may continue their study of Hakkoryu under an active Shihan.
Shodai Soke Okuyama Ryuho felt very strongly that Hakkoryu Jujutsu and Hakkoryu Koho Shiatsu were unique and unparalleled arts that could both punish the wicked and cure the sick. He considered Hakkoryu bugei to be a “Lone Wolf,” insisting his students remain loyal. Like his father, Nidai Soke Okuyama Ryuho continues in this approach and wishes Hakkoryu Jujutsu and Hakkoryu Koho Shiatsu to remain pure.
Since its founding, Hakkoryu Jujutsu continues to succeed as a unique Japanese self-protection martial art. Hakkoryu Jujutsu stands alone as a traditional and disciplined martial art that Shodai Soke created out of his own flesh, blood and life-long experiences. He felt that through disciplined and intense training in his methods, one could come to understand the essence of all martial arts and healing methods. Therefore, it was Shodai Soke’s and now Nidai Soke’s hope that the techniques and practice of Hakkoryu Jujutsu and Hakkoryu Koho Shiatsu should be kept pure and undiluted by other martial and medical systems. Hakkoryu students must deeply reflect on the above. This is our unique heritage, and it is our privilege and responsibility to serve and preserve Hakkoryu Jujutsu and Hakkoryu Koho Shiatsu for future generations. Long live Hakkoryu!
Hakkoryu Nidai Soke Okuyama Ryuho
Hakkoryu Soke Somukyoku
Hakkoryu Soke Shingiin Jyonin Giin Kai
Hakkoryu Shihan Kai
Hakkoryu Renshi Kai
Hakkoryu Yudansha Kai
Hakkoryu Koho Shiatsu Igaku Chihogaku Kai